Monday, January 28, 2008

Bettye Johnson's book signing

Me and Bettye


Saturday I attended Bettye Johnson's book signing for her latest book, Mary Magdalene, Her Legacy at the Blue Bottle. It was wonderful. I got to talk to Bettye for a few minutes in between signings. Here's a few things she told me about the new book, which is a sequel to Secrets of the Magdalene Scrolls.


Bettye has done extensive research on Mary Magdalene throughout the years. Bettye said, "This book is more about Mary Magdalene's lineage. There's no validity from anyone about the lineage." Both books are fiction. But with her research mixed in. She says, "Although it's fiction, it's plausible. History is very fluid. For example, your experience might be different from my experience." She says, "Certain parts of the book would make a good topic in a study group."



Bettye told me she was surprised that so many people already knew some of these facts about Mary. For example, that she was Ethiopian, and a black woman. Bettye traveled to France in 2001 and saw many churches dedicated to Mary and she saw many black Madonnas. This is of course much different from the portrayal we get from the Catholic church here in America. Mary and Jesus are always shown with white skin.



"Most readers like the books because they capture their attention." Bettye says about the feedback that she has gotten from the books.



"It's been a great journey!" Bettye told me.



Congragulations, Bettye! I can't wait to read it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the imagine Inn. The pictures are beutiful. I'm looking forward to mu next stay. The smell of fresh coffee in the morning and a glass of redat night will definately keep me yearning to return. Thanks for the Blog, the cool receipes and useful links!!!
Ana Ortega