Saturday, January 19, 2008

Banana Bread


Banana Bread, Oh Banana Bread, How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

1. You are delicious.
2. You are quite easy to make.
3. You are a wonderful use of my overripe bananas.
4. You make a wonderful gift. In fact, people adore receiving you! I have a friend who loves my baking and is happy to eat whatever I serve him, but most of the time he will say, "Oh, but it's not the banana bread!" Everybody loves you, but deservedly so.













This is my favorite banana bread recipe. It's full of bananas, and the sour cream
makes it incredibly moist.

This recipe makes 3-4 loaves, if you'd like to make less, you may halve the recipe.
Ingredients
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
8 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream (2 cups)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking soda
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
grated nutmeg (optional) (I use approx. 1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg)


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease four 7x3 inch loaf pans, (or if they are larger), 3 pans.
In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and brown sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla. In separate large bowl mix together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg (if using). Add dry mixture to wet mixture. Stir in nuts. Divide into prepared pans.
Bake for approx 45 min to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

No comments: